( Closed Doors )Queens Park FC vs Ayr United

July 27, 2013
Score: 1 - 2

Match Report

16 year old Alan Forrest proved to be United’s hero at Hampden Park after he scored the winner three minutes from time.

United found themselves 1-0 down in the first half through a penalty but strikes from Moffat and Forrest allowed Ayr to progress to the Second Round of the Ramsdens Cup.

Ayr United made two changes from the side that defeated Cumnock Juniors with trialist, Martyn Campbell coming in for newly signed Josh McArthur. Craig Malcolm began the game in place of Alan Forrest.

In their striking new red away kit, United stormed forward in the early stages, terrorising the Queen’s Park rear guard.

Robbie Crawford looked keen to notch his first goal for United and was close to doing so when he saw a 25 yard thumping drive saved.

Moffat was also close to opening the scoring with a left footed shot which was saved at the near post.

Craig Malcolm looked dangerous and he could count himself unlucky not to score after he saw his raking shot fly by Michael Andrews’ far post.

After 25 minutes, Queen’s Park won a penalty after Adam Hunter handled the ball in the area. Tony Quinn then put the home side into the lead even though Hutton dived the correct way.

On his first start since his gruelling injury, Martyn Campbell was back to his commanding best and even posed a threat going forward, seeing a bicycle kick blocked after half an hour.

After 52 minutes, United received their just rewards when Michael Moffat levelled the scores. A long ball from Martyn Campbell allowed Moffat to sneak in behind the Queen’s Park rear guard and fire beyond Michael Andrews.


United continued to pile forward with Gordon Pope seeing a drive fly wide of the target.

After 78 minutes, United had the ball in the back of the net through Michael Moffat. However, Craig Malcolm was adjudged to have strayed offside before he crossed the ball into the box.

Mark Roberts expressed anger at the decision and was sent to the stands for his protests.

Ayr didn’t relent though and with 3 minutes remaining, they took a 2-1 lead thanks to a strike from substitute Alan Forrest who prodded home.

Queen’s Park: Brown, Gallacher, Coll, Grier, Brough, Rooney, Spittal, Anderson, Vitoria, Quinn, Burns(Davison). Subs: Capuano, Keenan, Trialist, Lochhead.

Ayr United: Hutton, Hunter (Trialist), Pope, Campbell (Trialist), Lithgow, McLaughlin, McGowan (Forrest), Crawford, Moffat, Malcolm, Donald. Subs: Shankland, Forrest, McArthur, Marenghi, Muir.

Referee: Paul Robertson

Assistants: MacMillan, Stewart

Attendance- 887

By Michael Lamont

Thanks to Queen’s Park photography.