Ayr United vs Forfar Athletic

August 17, 2013
Score: 2 - 0

Match Report

United’s first home league game of the season ended in success with Ayr romping home to a 2-0 victory.

The Somerset Park side now lie joint top of League One after winning their opening two league games for the first time since 2005/06.

Craig Malcolm put Ayr ahead just before the half time break and Moffat rounded off the scoring with a second half penalty after Darren Dods was sent off.

Marko’s men went into the game on a high after last week’s thumping victory over Arbroath and made one change with Martyn Campbell being brought into the centre of defence in place of youngster Josh McArthur.

Robbie Crawford returned from suspension but began the game on the bench with Anthony Marenghi partnering McLaughlin in the centre of midfield.

Forfar created the first clear cut chance of the game after just 15 minutes when Templeman unleashed a drive from 7 yards but Hutton was on hand to pull off a stunning save.

United then went on to dominate proceedings with Moffat and Malcolm pestering the Forfar centre back pairing of Dods and Andrews.

After 37 minutes, a slick passing move allowed Marenghi to gather the ball at the edge of the area but he saw his shot fly wide of the target.

It wasn’t long though before Ayr were on the score sheet with Craig Malcolm scoring his first goal for the club. A cross into the box was met by the striker who was on hand to strike home.


At the start of the second half, United dominated once again and passed the ball freely but failed to test goalkeeper, Darren Hill.

Forfar went close after 53 minutes when Ross Campbell rifled a 25 yard free-kick inches wide of the target.

Despite being under pressure in spells, United stood strong and took a two goal lead after 75 minutes.

Michael Moffat embarked on a 60 yard surging run where he danced through a ruck of bodies before rounding the goalkeeper and seeing his shot blocked by the hand of Darren Dods.


Northcroft sent Dods packing before Moffat was able to rifle home a penalty kick, scoring his fourth of the season.

Alan Forrest came on in place of Mikey McGowan and once again impressed, dancing around opposition players and setting up chances.

Malcolm was impressive after breaking his scoring duct and was unfortunate not to score from a thunderous shot which flew over the crossbar in the last 10 minutes.

After the match, Mark Roberts said: “We totally dominated and probably should have been up by more than one goal at half time.

“I was delighted that Malcolm got on the score sheet as he’s been brilliant since signing for us and totally deserved his goal.

“Moffat was excellent and works well alongside Malcolm who pester defenders all game long.

“Defensively we were really organised and Martyn Campbell was top class. Both him and Lithgow dealt with the physical threat Forfar posed up front.

“We only had four clean sheets last season so to have two already is absolutely fantastic.”

Ayr: Hutton, Hunter, Martyn Campbell (Crawford 83), Lithgow, Pope, McGowan (Forrest 76), McLaughlin, Marenghi, Donald, Moffat, Malcolm (Shankland 86). Subs Not Used: McArthur, Roberts, Longridge, William Muir. Booked: Moffat, Donald.

Goals: Malcolm 41, Moffat 75 pen.

Forfar: Hill, Dunlop (Kader 46), Dods, Andrews, Baxter, Dale, McCabe, Malin (Fusco 51), Ross Campbell, Templeman (Swankie 80),McManus. Subs Not Used: Douglas, Malcolm, Deasley, Reid.

Sent Off: Dods (74).

Att: 1,056

Ref: Matt Northcroft

By Michael Lamont